Coconut milk is a great alternative to cows milk, so creamy and thick. It is also vegan friendly. I find this little substitute a dream in cooking, it makes amazing curry sauces, desserts and can be used like pouring cream. Another reason why I am a big fan is that I always have some in. Buying coconut milk is part of my weekly shopping and as it comes in a tin it has a great shelf life.
So if you are in need of a quick dessert, whether you are dairy intolerant or not, if you have coconut milk, cocoa powder and icing sugar in the cupboard…you are already half way there.
This dairy free chocolate mousse recipe is so thick, it is awfully indulgent. I used full fat coconut milk as it thickens when whipped (I did make the mistake of using half fat and failed – oops!), just like double cream would. I also sprinkled some cocoa nibs on top (available from Holland and Barrett) – they give a great crunch to the smooth mousse and are also dairy free. Amazing! If you give this recipe a try then don’t forget to tell me how you got on by leaving a comment at the end of this post 🙂
- 400ml Coconut milk (Full Fat)
- 40g Cocoa Powder
- 40g Icing Sugar (or sweeten to taste using your preferred sweetener)
- Sprinkle of Cocoa Nibs
- Scoop out the thick cream part of the coconut milk, leaving behind the water. Whip this cream into a whipped cream consistency.
- Add the cocoa powder and icing sugar. Blend until smooth.
- Divide your mixture in to two ramekins. Sprinkle on some cocoa nibs and chill until ready to serve. Delicious!
To Your Inbox